10.18.2006

Eff the State Pen...



Maybe I should just give in and only post after traveling...

There are a lot of famous losing streaks in this world of ours. The Orioles lost 21 straight in 1988 to set the bar in Major League Baseball, Susan Lucci returned home from the Emmys winless for 18 years, and hell, yours truly has gone countless months without some good lovin' from British women (anyone? anyone?). This past weekend I witnessed what I hope will become another infamous losing streak, as my Michigan Wolverines defeated Penn St. for the 8th straight time, in Happy Valley (aka Nowhere U.S.A.) no less.

My jet setting weekend (coach is so comfy!) kicked off in NYC, established itself as first-class in Happy Valley, and concluded depressingly at Newark...ahem...Liberty International Airport Sunday night. In fact, those of you who still read this probably got a phone call around the time I was waiting to take off, as is requisite for airport time. Along the way I caught up with some old college friends from yesteryear, most notably the $5 Pitcher and $1 shot. What? Real life is overrated.

Penn State's campus was of Big (11) Ten caliber, and at the risk of being cliche, I'll note that college girls have indeed stayed the same age. Don't get it twisted, there were some misses along the way (most notably my punk ass landlord's college girl referral. I've never been more happy to NOT have dibs. Ugh.), but for every dud there were innumerable hits. We crashed a Penn St. family tailgate, beat our Happy Valley alums 5-3 in flip cup, caught up with some of our college friends (yeah, we're old), and generally annoyed people around us. A perfect weekend.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

those "ann arbor is a whore" tshirts make me laugh every time. i probably shouldn't admit that.

1:58 AM  
Blogger cjb said...

I, too, enjoy them. Although I underestimated their ubiquity until visiting Madison and Happy Valley these last two years.

Joey's preferred comeback - "just like your mother" seemed to quiet the masses.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cjb,
I hate to admit this but I use to use Ann Arbor as a fake name to guys that looked like they could work the cash register..I want one of those shirts. are they available?

11:36 PM  
Blogger cjb said...

Aunt R,
I hesitate to indulge you here, but I'm sure we can arrange a shirt for you. But maybe we could get you an anti OSU or Notre Dame one instead?

Hope life in sunny FL is treating you well. I propose a City Hangover reader road trip!

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home