11.01.2006

Dov’é el Vino Rossi?



Greetings from Rome, people. After a rough week (see my previous post), I was more than ready for some time off. England has its charms, but there’s something to be said for sunshine and 70 degree weather, amazing food and drink, and a plethora of kamikaze Vespa drivers. I’m now remembering why Rome was one of my favorite stops in my halcyon days as a backpacker through Europe. I’m also remembering how sneaky those Roman Catholics are at making a buck.

We paid no less than 12 euros ($15 or so) each to snake our way through the Vatican Museum for an hour in search of the Sistene Chapel. During that hour, I counted no less than 9 sales desks pawning rosaries and other traditional catholic relics. Like designer wallets (?). I’ve also confirmed that, without exception, every museum ultimately spits you out at the souvenir shop. Jesus wouldn’t have had it any other way.

Although I had to toil through this maze of questionable capitalism, you, my loyal readers, can experience the glory of Michelangelo’s masterpiece for free. I risked priest molestation to capture these poorly lit and blurry photos from the chapel’s confines:



Trust me, it was better in person.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kiren said...

I remember it in person. And I remember basically puking in my own mouth at the hypocrisy of it all. It was after that day that swore of my Catholicism once and for all. That being said, wish I was there again with you. And I don't want your fucking Coke.

3:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you're galavanting around Europe again, I feel it is my duty to say... try not to make anybody cry this time, okay?

4:51 AM  
Blogger cjb said...

Ahh, my former travel cohorts. Jesus, it isn't the same without you, although admittedly more sober. And Chrissy, lest we forget, The Jesus made her cry first! I just came in as a fast follower...

Let's do it again?

1:13 PM  
Blogger Kiren said...

Yes, but I deftly alleviated the situation with a rousing account of my sexual exploits in Barcelona that were hitherto unknown.

And actually, CJB, I'm pretty sure you made her cry first in Prague, and I made her cry after in Paris. And you tried to alleviate the situation in Prague by telling her stop crying.

5:28 PM  
Blogger cjb said...

Hmm...I don't remember tears in Prague, though I wouldn't count it out.

That said, I FULLY remember your stories from Barcelona that night, which still crack me up. Awesome. And basically a model chick, if I remember correctly.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

KMV, that was an incredible save in Paris. I'm still impressed by that story -- model chick, timing, and all.

Can we definitely do it again? Before I lose the next four years of my life to some school? I even promise not to gossip about you two if I'm ever in a separate hostel room...

5:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home